Are you looking for a quick and healthy-ish dinner recipe that you can make in just about 30 minutes? Then look no further! This low-carb spicy Italian sausage and zoodles dish is quick, easy, and packed full of veggies.
Meal planning as a mom is no joke. Literally every day of our adult lives we now have to decide what’s for dinner. Not just for ourselves, but for our family too. To make things even better, we’re most likely the ones to make it as well.
To make life easy, I try to find one pot and one pan dishes that take the chaos out of cooking and get dinner done in less time. Are you with me momma?
That is what leads me to today’s one-pan, 30-minute spicy Italian sausage and zoodles! It’s packed full of veggies and your kids may not even realize just how many veggies they’re eating!
Instead of pasta, we’re using spiralized zucchini. If you don’t have a veggie spiralizer, there are tons of options out there. I use a simple handheld one that you can get for just $10. There are other options available too for very reasonable prices.
I recommend trying the zoodles with your family, but if it doesn’t work or you want a backup plan, cook some pasta! Spaghetti noodles or angel hair pasta would work perfectly for the recipe.
If spicy isn’t your thing, that’s okay. You can substitute for mild Italian sausage or even ground beef or turkey. I do feel like the sausage brings it to another flavor level though. I will say that the spicy Italian sausage isn’t too spicy though. My one-year-old even ate it!
Spicy Italian Sausage and Zoodles – 30 Minute Recipe
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell beller, sliced
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1lb spicy Italian sausage
- 1 jar garlic tomato pasta sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp galic powder
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste optional
- Slice all of your veggies, finely chop garlic cloves, and spiralize your zucchini. This doesn’t take long with a handy dandy spiralizer. (This is the one I use for just $10.)
- Brown spicy Italian sausage in large pan. Drain grease and set sausage aside.
- Add 1-2 TBSP olive oil to pan and then add garlic. Cook on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Saute zucchini, onion and bell pepper for 5-7 minutes.
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add spinach leaves and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add spicy Italian sausage and mix in with veggies.
- Pour 1/2 jar of pasta sauce.
- Mix everything together and bring to desired temperation. Usually just another couple minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add red pepper flakes to taste if you want an extra kick. (I suggest adding these after serving in case your kids don’t like anything spicy.)
More 30 Minute Meals for Moms
If you’re looking to start a simple meal planning process, take a look at what I’ve found works for my family! It’s a loose way of planning meals for the week without having a rigid structure that leaves no room for change when life gets busy.
Here are 5 other quick and delicious meals for families! These meals are either crockpot or one-pan, quick meals to make life easier for busy moms. Take a look and add one or two to your meal plan this month!
Take a look at some other 30 minute meals from my friends. Created by moms, approved by kids!
Stovetop Turkey Chili Mac by Michelle at Taste as You Go
Simple Chicken Casserole by Nikki Muhilly
Creamy Sausage & Kale Soup by Stephanie at Style Simpler
French Toast Casserole by Christa at The Williams Party
Restaurant Style Chicken Lo Mein by The Mommy Spice
Pan Sheet Chicken & Veggies by Michelle at Mama Llama Llama
Super Simple Shepherd’s Pie by Alex at Alex is a Mom
Before you go…
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!