Have you gotten the chance to try a hot chocolate bomb? They’re currently all the rage and the perfect cold-weather treat. If you’re interested in not just trying, but learning how to make hot chocolate bombs, here is a super easy hot chocolate bomb recipe that anyone can do!
My favorite thing about hot chocolate bombs is that they make drinking hot chocolate not only a delicious treat but an experience as well!
Once you learn how to make this fun treat, you’ll find that they make the perfect gifts. Think Christmas gifts for teachers, Valentine’s Day for a special someone, a fun Easter treat, at Halloween to Boo your neighbors, the list goes on and on!
Easy, Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe
Let’s take a look at the ingredients, supplies, and effort that go into making the perfect hot chocolate bomb.
- Chocolate melting wafters
- Hot chocolate mix (shop here)
- Mini marshmallows (shop here)
- Optional: Colored candy wafers (for decorating the top, tons of options and even flavors available)
- Hot Chocolate Bomb Mold (from Amazon, from Walmart)
- Pastry brush (from Amazon, from Walmart)
- Baking sheet
- Microwaveable plate
- Cupcake liners
- Melt your chocolate according to the bag. This is usually done in 30 second increments stiring after each one.
- Using your pastry brush, paint a layer of chocolate into the silicone mold. Be sure to cover the entire half sphere.
- Place mold onto baking sheet and put in freezer for 5-7 minutes.
- Once cooled, add another layer of melted chocolate. If you see any areas that look thin (you can see through to the mold), then coat them again. It’s important for the layer to be thick so it doesn’t crack.
- Freeze again for 5-7 minutes.
- Gently pop chocolate out of silicone mold.
- Set out cupcake liners and get hot chocolate mix and marshmallows ready for assembly.
- Heat your plate in the microwave for at least 1 minute.
- Place the edges of one chocolate on the heated plate, and gently twist back and forth to melt it slightly.
- Put chocolate in the cupcake liner and add 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix then several marshmallows.
- Now melt the edges of another chocolate by twisting on the plate.
- Immediately place on top of the filled half and gently press down to seal.
- Repeat for remaining chocolate molds.
- Once all of your hot chocolate bombs are assembled, decorate with colored candy melts and sprinkles!
Tips and Tid Bits for Making Your Hot Chocolate Bombs
The first time I made my hot chocolate bombs, I made quite a few mistakes. Even though this is an easy recipe, it takes some practice to really nail it down! There are a few tips based on things I did wrong. Go ahead and learn from my mistakes now. And if it does happen to you, at least you know you’re not alone and that it will get easier!
Paint the ENTIRE inside of the mold.
Make sure you paint the entire inside of the mold. If not, your hot chocolate bomb will not hold the mix or it will likely crack when you remove it from the mold.
Reinforce thin spots.
If you notice any thin spots aka areas that you can kind of see-through, go ahead and paint another layer of chocolate in those spots. Remember the thicker the better.
Don’t forget to focus on the top.
Paint all the way up the sides. If it’s thin around the edges, it’s likely to chip when you remove it from the mold. This is where I had the most issues my first time around! If it is a very small chip, you can likely avoid issues because it will even out when you lightly melt the edge. It’s the bigger chips that cause problems!
Work fast when filling.
When you’re melting the edges, filling and sealing your hot chocolate bombs, you have to work fast! Have your hot chocolate mix and marshmallows set up and ready to go while the plate is heating. You don’t have a lot of time before the chocolate cools and sets, so work quickly!
Plan for extras.
For every set of hot chocolate bombs I make, I usually manage to crack one. That being said, plan for extras. If you know you need to make 10 hot chocolate bombs, go ahead and plan for 12!
Here’s a video I created on Instagram for a quick visual of the entire process!
Join my Instagram family where I share mom life, fitness tips and more daily!
Hot Chocolate Bomb Flavors
Once you get the hang of a classic milk chocolate hot chocolate bomb, you can spice it up with some other fun flavors. Here are a few options if you want to get a little creative.
Mexican Hot Chocolate – Create your shell using milk chocolate and add cinnamon once the chocolate is melted. Use this Mexican hot chocolate mix instead of the traditional mix, you won’t regret it!
Peppermint Bark – White chocolate and peppermint shell with standard hot chocolate mix and mint or mini marshmallows. Add crushed peppermint into the white chocolate shell or peppermint melting wafers. (I used these!)
Andes Mint Chocolate – Mint chocolate shell created by melting Andes mint chocolates into your dark chocolate with standard hot chocolate mix and mint marshmallows. Throw some crushed Andes chocolates in the middle while you’re at it!
Cookies ‘n Cream – White chocolate shell with crushed Oreos mixed in. You can also melt down a Hershey’s Cookies & Cream chocolate bar for the shell. Use a standard hot chocolate mix and marshmallows!
Salted Caramel Chocolate – Salted caramel shell (using these melts) with standard hot chocolate mix and marshmallows. Spice it up with salted caramel nibs! You can also use this salted caramel hot chocolate mix to really amp up the caramel flavor.
S’mores – Milk chocolate shell with s’mores hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows! Crumble graham crackers to sprinkle on top!
French Vanilla – Vanilla shell using vanilla flavored melting wafers and a French vanilla cocoa mix and marshmallows.
Strawberry – White chocolate shell with strawberry flavored Nesquik and marshmallows.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries – Milk or dark chocolate shell with strawberry Nesquik and marshmallows. Add in crushed freeze-dried strawberries for a fun twist!
Chocolate Espresso – Dark chocolate shell with one part standard hot chocolate mix and one part instant espresso.
There are tons of other flavor combinations that you can create. If you can dream it, you can do it! These are just a few that I came up with for you to try!
Wrapping up this easy hot chocolate bomb recipe!
Now that you know the steps, run out and grab your hot chocolate bomb molds and get to creating! Everyone will be impressed with your skills and want you to make some for them.
Don’t forget to pin this to your Desserts or Drinks board on Pinterest to save for later! And follow me for more fun!
What hot chocolate bomb flavors do you want to try?
Feel free to leave any questions in the comments or shoot me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org!