1. It is a cheap(er) form of therapy. At first you just need a few things to get started: shoes, workout clothes, water. It gets more expensive the more you become obsessed. At least when you finish a race you get some bling instead of a bill.
2. Running clothes are super cute. You know you want some.
3. The more you run, the better you look in said workout clothes. Seriously, you will be working muscles you didn’t even know you had. Just wait until you get those tones calves and quads!
4. You will meet tons of awesome people through running clubs and can have an official “running buddy” or group.
5. If you blog, you can meet up with other awesome bloggers that run! You can even find them in different states dressed as various Disney Princesses!
6. You will learn to push your body beyond what you thought was its breaking point.
7. Crossing the finish line of your first race is one of the greatest feelings in the world. Crossing the finish on a half marathon or marathon (no matter which # it is) is also one of the best feelings in the world.
8. You won’t kill your husband (or significant other) Running is exercise. Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don’t kill their husbands. They just don’t!
9. Mimosas, cupcakes, wine, ice cream, burgers, chips, insert your guilty pleasure here will feel way less guilty…in moderation of course!
10. Most importantly, you will embark upon the journey of a lifetime. Cheesy I know. But seriously, I ran my first half marathon nearly 4 years ago today and I can’t even begin to count all of the blessings and benefits it has brought to my life.
|My awesome 3:45 running group in Runner’s High before the Houston Marathon!
So you think you aren’t a runner or you don’t like running? Give it one more try. Think of all the great things about it. And if you still don’t like it…I guess try swimming, biking, lifting, anything that gets you up and moving. But running will still be the best…not that I’m biased or anything.
I challenge you to get outside and just do something this weekend. Maybe give running another go or maybe just take a long walk. In the end, it’s all about being active and finding passion in some sort of physical activity. Did you know that only 31% of adult partake in the recommended amount of recreational physical activity a week? I’m talking only 3-4 times a week for 30-60 minutes. It’s crazy! So be one to help increase the statistic. Get out there and move 🙂
What activity are you going to do this weekend?
What’s your favorite form of exercise?