September is among us, so bring on the fall recipes! To kick off September and Labor Day weekend, I created a homemade apple cinnamon waffle recipe using the cutest mini waffle maker that I found at Kohl’s the other day!
In southeast Texas, we won’t get actual fall weather for a few more months. I’m jealous of those of you getting some cooler days thrown in the mix. Our idea of a cool front is temps in the upper 80’s with only 70% humidity! Since I’m only dreaming of cooler weather, I’m working on cooking up some fun and healthy fall foods in the kitchen.
On the weekends, I typically try to cook one bigger breakfast for the family. Sometimes it’s pancakes, other days it’s cook to order omelettes! It all depends on what I can find in our fridge and pantry. This Labor Day weekend, Chloe was begging to cook something with me as soon as she woke up. (She’s very into Butterbean’s Cafe right now, so baking is her favorite thing to do.) Since I just bought my mini waffle maker, I knew we had to use it. I also knew that I wanted to incorporate some fall flavors!
I’ve been thinking about what to make to satisfy my apple and cinnamon craving that immediately hits me on the 1st of September every year. This was the perfect opportunity to come up with something new. I used my staple waffle recipe, added some extra cinnamon, vanilla extract and grated apples. Wham, bam, homemade apple cinnamon waffles. You could probably also use a pancake or waffle mix and add in cinnamon, vanilla and grated apple if that’s more your jam!
Chloe loves apples, so she was on board with my decision and was an eager helper. She did an excellent job pouring, stirring and bossing me around. Since the waffles I made are mini, I was able to make almost 12 mini pancakes. 3 for me, 2 for Chloe and Brody had 1. My husband was actually out of town, so I was able to freeze the extras to pop into the toaster for easy on the go breakfasts this week!
Homemade Apple Cinnamon Waffles
Apple Cinnamon Waffles
- Waffle Maker
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter vegetable oil works too
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium or large apple, grated
- Add dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and gently mix together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Don't over mix!
- Grease waffle maker with butter or light coat of cooking spray. I use olive oil spray!
- Pour desired amount into waffle maker and close the lid. (I used a 1/4 cup of batter for my mini waffle maker!) Cook until steam stops coming out of the sides and waffle is golden brown.
- Remove from waffle maker and add desired toppings. I recommend cinnamon and powdered sugar! Other options include maple syrup, whipped cream and more apple slices!
- Eat and enjoy your fall breakfast treat!
I hope y’all enjoy this homemade apple cinnamon waffle recipe and are having the perfect start to September! Let me know if you give this tasty breakfast treat a try. It didn’t disappoint!
What are your favorite fall flavors to work with?
Apple and cinnamon or pumpkin spice and definitely mine.