Happy 2nd of July! Did anyone start their 4th of July celebrations this past weekend? We did! With this fun holiday being on a Wednesday, it kind of puts a damper on celebrating! We had a pool day yesterday at my parents’ house with lots of swimming and eating. My dad smoked some ribs and we had left over goodies from my baby shower the day before!
Since my dad will be out of town and my sister has to work, we decided to get together and do what we would have done on the 4th…minus the fireworks. I would share all the fun pictures with y’all, but it turns out my dad was the only one documenting the event. I was too busy floating around the pool being as weightless as can be. Every time I got out of the water, which was rare, all I could think was that it’s much heavier outside of the pool! I’m a big fan of weightlessness.
Related Post: Ultimate Summertime Roundup
Now don’t get me wrong, we still plan on celebrating the 4th this week. Who said it can’t be a week long celebration?
JP has Wednesday-Friday off before heading off to London Saturday, so we have to do something fun! Our neighbors are having people over Tuesday evening and my mom has offered to have a sleepover party with Chloe, so we’re looking forward to a kid-free celebration. This party is BYOB and BYOD…bring your own dessert! Dessert happens to be my specialty and I love being able to create something with a theme. Enter this Patriotic Fruit Cookie Pizza.
Patriotic Fruit Cookie Pizza
- 1 roll (16.5oz) of sugar cookie dough
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 12″ cookie sheet and make sure it is completely coated for easy cookie pizza removal.
- Press sugar cookie dough evenly onto cookie sheet. Make sure it isn’t pressed too thin!
- Bake 12-16 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Spread mixture over cooled cookie. Add blueberries and sliced strawberries in the pattern above to create the American flag!
- Refrigerate your creation for at least an hour. Longer won’t hurt, so leave it in until it’s time to serve!
Related Post: Summer Bucket List
You can serve your patriotic fruit cookie pizza straight from the cookie pan or you can carefully transfer to another serving dish. I prefer to transfer and cut the edges to make it more rectangular.
Many fruit cookie pizzas call for a glaze to go over the fruit. Some use apple jelly, others use a lemon/orange juice mixture. I’ve tried these in the past and have come to the conclusion that it tastes just as good and looks better without the glaze! Feel free to create a tasty glaze to add to your pizza if you’re feeing creative.
I’m looking forward to making this easy and tasty treat again for our 4th celebration on the 3rd! If you’re trying to figure out something to bring to a gathering this week, this patriotic fruit cookie pizza may be just the thing for you too!
If you like this recipe, you’ll LOVE my Ultimate Summertime Roundup! You’ll find more patriotic recipes and decor, summer crafts for kids and the perfect recipes and cocktails for a summer BBQ!
Are you celebrating the 4th of July on a different day this year?
What are your go to foods for 4th of July celebrations?