Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Today is kind of like a Friday Five and Thursday Thoughts combined into one awesome St. Patrick’s Day post! I love holidays and dressing up and making people adhere to the rules. It all in good fun and it makes what may seem like a random Thursday much more entertaining…and green! I hope you’re feeling lucky today because not only do I have adorable photos to share, but I have a recipe and a workout as well!
Looking for something green to eat that’s a little bit healthier than muffins?! You have to try my turkey stuffed bell peppers! I don’t make these as often as I should. There are several ingredients, but they’re super easy to make. These bad boys are low cholesterol, low fat (especially if you get the 90-10 turkey or higher!) and gluten free. If you’re not a fan of rice, try substituting quinoa!
1lb ground turkey
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 -3/4 (6oz can) green chiles and diced tomatoes
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 bell peppers, any color
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non stick spray. You can also line the dish with parchment paper if available.
- Brown your ground turkey. Season with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.
- Cut off the tops of your bell peppers. Remove stems and seeds from inside the pepper’s cavity. Rinse thouroghly to remove remaining seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, rice, green chiles, corn, beans, tomatoes, cheeses, garlic, onion and chili powder (remaining 1/2 tsp), salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill each each bell pepper to the top. Place peppers on prepared baking dish and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!